Tuesday, April 28, 2020

We get knocked down, but we get up again

Hello Year 9,


I hope your week has got off to a good start and you're managing to keep on top of your home learning tasks being set by teachers. You may have noticed that we have responded to your feedback by staggering when tasks are set. It seemed a lot of you were feeling overwhelmed on a Monday, so if you found you didn't have much set yesterday, I promise (much to your dismay, I'm sure) that there'll be more throughout the week...after all, we wouldn't want you getting bored! I know some of you are also having issues with submitting work on SMHW, so please do let me know if this is the case and I'll get in touch with Miss Hanley so she can work her magic on this. If in doubt, I would also suggest emailing your teachers any tasks you have completed so they can see how hard you are working...after all, I want everyone to know that Year 9 are the best year group! 

I think it's safe to say that we are well and truly into lockdown 2K20 now and even as an adult, it's hard to keep yourself continuously motivated, particularly as things seem never-ending at times. However, we just have to remember that there is an end in sight and positives will come out of this situation even if it doesn't seem like it right now. If anything, it will make us all thankful for school to start again...which is something I bet you never thought you'd hear yourself say. You also need to believe me when I say that, when school eventually starts back, you'll be far better off returning knowing that you have done everything you can to stay on top of your learning- trust me on this one! No one wants to feel that anxious feeling that most get the night before school starts because you feel like you're going to be out of your depth. 

If you're someone that's struggling with keeping on top of things, or maybe have struggled to get into a routine with home learning, make sure you get in touch with me and together we can try to prioritise tasks that you've been set.

Remember, studying little and often is the key to success and it will help to keep you motivated. If all else fails, I also find cups of tea and biscuits are a good incentive too. 

Companionship 

Our theme of the week this week is 'Companionship' which seems ironic in a time when we are having to isolate from our friends. A gospel reading that gave me a boost, as it seemed to resonate with our current situation, is the following:




 “We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair.  We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed”

Paul sends words of encouragement to his friends, in 2 Corinthians 4:8-9 (NLT)

In this gospel story, it seems that even though the disciples didn't realise it at the time, Jesus had not abandoned them in their time of need. Similarly, God has not and never does, abandon us...even if we don’t always recognise His presence. In times of difficulty, as Christians, we are called to be beacons of hope (or lighthouses, as Mr Kibble often refers to). 

The challenge to you this week, Year 9,  is to think about how we can provide companionship (virtual or otherwise) to those who are in need of hope, comfort and support.

Reflections on companionship:

  • Who needs you to accompany them this week?
  • How might you do this if you can’t be physically present for them?
  • Who accompanies you in good times and bad?
  • How do you let your companions know how much you appreciate them?
  • Which blessings in your life let you know that God hasn’t abandoned you?
  • How might you allow God to accompany you this week?


Now, do you want to know a fun (pointless) fact that vaguely links to the gospel? Thought as much... 

The gospel is all about picking yourself up again if your belief falters, and if you've ever heard of the song lyrics "I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna get me down" then congratulations, you have a good taste in 80s music. You then might be interested to know that this song is called Tubthumping by a band called Chumbawambawa...weird name, I know! And that pointless, yet equally fun fact year 9, is what I learnt from my Saturday Night family quiz. You can thank me later when it comes up in a music round for a quiz that you will no doubt be a part of at some point during quarantine (although, maybe quizzes are just an adult thing to do...I hope that doesn't make me old). 

Imagine if...

We were experiencing lockdown in the early 90s (before you were even born). I certainly wouldn't be able to post this blog to you- it would be more along the lines of a weekly letter written on a typewriter with a hand-drawn picture, at best. 

That's right, one fantastic advantage that we have living in the 21st century is that we have technology to help us stay connected. With our theme of companionship this week, I thought it only right to celebrate those of you who are making full use of the video call apps to speak to friends whilst completing work. That's right, zoom meetings aren't just for parents and teachers! If you're not already, get a group of friends together and set a time to meet virtually to complete a piece of work. You'll find it's almost, yes almost, like being in the classroom again and much more interesting than doing it by yourself...just don't get too distracted like myself and Miss Long get when we call each other. 

Some of your parents have also been asking whether we are going to do more interactive lessons for you to access. We're in the process of trialing online seminars with Year 12 and Year 10, so watch this space as there may be something along the lines of online lessons for Year 9 in the not-so-distant future. In the meantime though, take a look at the Salesian School Youtube Channel to see some familiar faces. I've included a link to this week and last week's assembly and one for an English Language lesson by Miss McEvoy that will help you with comparison PEAs (I know you're all missing them!)

Assemblies:

27/04:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8XJNtGeYjU&feature=youtu.be

20/04: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXmMciXENmg


English Language- Year 9 Comparison PEA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN1kWYuJh7I&list=PLqrFnD-0xxQcFUia1pkprHOAZO9fCzLPG&index=2


Also, while we're on the topic of videos, don't forget about the Salesian 7 Challenge. Heads of Year have already been busy getting on with some of the tasks (see the link for videos: https://www.facebook.com/salesianschoolchertsey/). A particular favourite is of course the TikTok challenge, but I know for a fact you can do better than my attempt, so get to it Year 9!






When will I hear about my GCSE options?

This is a common question I have been getting from a lot of you, so it's about time I put you all out of your misery.

Either later this week, or the beginning of next, you will be sent a letter confirming whether you have secured your option choices. In the event that you have been given a reserve choice, I am going to send you a separate email direct to your school email address to tell you what you have been assigned instead to prepare you for when you receive the letter. 

The confirmation of these subjects should not mean that you stop working for your other subjects, but instead allow you to prioritise and start looking ahead to what your year will look like come September. 

If you are worried about any of this, please do drop me an email so I can help you with any concerns you may have. 


Enough about GCSEs, you want a puppy update? OK, only if I have to...

You'll be pleased to know, my week got off to a very good start as we got our puppy, Lola, back from the vets. She's well and truly on the mend now and whilst we might be a lot poorer after paying the hefty vet bill, we are extremely pleased to have her home. She's already disrupting the working from home routine by squeezing onto the sofa wherever she can...






I'm hoping she'll be well trained enough for me to try this with her soon too...




Aside from getting the pup back, we also made use of not having her around by making some gourmet home-made burgers. I can highly recommend it, but don't forget to put a gherkin on top...that's the crowning glory (or maybe not, as the case may be for all you non-gherkin lovers!) 





So, what's everyone else in the Year group been up to? 

Well, now that you ask, I've had a lot of positive news about how you've all been passing the time and I've been highly impressed at how much some of you have been helping out your local community. 

Here's Yasmin ironing some of the material that is being used to make scrubs for keyworkers in the NHS. It looks like she's done more ironing than I've done in the last few months, let alone in a day. Well done, Yasmin!



I've also heard through the grapevine that Lawrence Caird has been killing it with his running. Word on the street is that he's done 12km with his Dad! Mo Farah better watch his back. Keep up the amazing work, Lawrence.

Last but not least, Hannah-Bella has sent through a great example of DIRT for her recent English assessment. For those in doubt of how to send hand-written work, this is how. Simply take a picture and send it on to your teachers. It's great to see that Hannah Bella's silhouette crept in there too. 



Well done to the rest of you who have been working tirelessly behind the scenes. I know some of you are the retiring, modest type, who don't want to promote the work they've been doing, but please do remember that if you have done anything that you're particularly proud of, send it my way- I love reading your emails!

Enjoy the rest of the week, Year 9 and make sure you reach out to your companions...particularly God (don't forget about that guy). 

Saint John Bosco, Pray for us. 

Miss M x



No comments:

Post a Comment

🎵 Try a little tenderness... 🎵

Or should I say Gentleness .  That's right, Gentleness is our theme this week and with only one more week to go, if you're anythi...