Thursday, April 9, 2020

Looking to the Future


We’re into Week 3 of lockdown and if you haven’t sat on your sofa for a whole day completing Netflix, then you’re a better human than I am. I’ve learnt a lot about Hasidic Jewish communities, can tell you exactly how and where football originated, laughed at ‘The Big Cat’ craze in America (Tiger King lovers, you know what I mean) and solved far too many crime documentaries than you can imagine- all without lifting a finger. Getting up and getting dressed before 9 have become an achievement in my eyes and I’ve become all too good at neighbourhood watch through my front window. 



I don’t know about you, but the Easter break has also provided me with some reflection time of all the things we take for granted. I had two trips planned for this Easter that have sadly had to be postponed: one to visit my partner’s relatives in Poland and another to see some of my family in France. It’s been hard knowing that we might not be able to travel for a fair while longer and the thought of not seeing my family has started to take its toll. However, when you hear of all the tragedy happening around us and those that are living in hardship, or self-isolating by themselves with no access to technology, it makes you thankful for what you do have. A roof over your head, people who love you, food on the table and most importantly of all, access to free health care and education. 

I know I say it a lot, but we are so lucky to be part of the Salesian community and it’s times like this that make you realise it more than ever. Last Friday, I got to see almost 100 staff members on a video call where Mr Kibble awarded virtual prizes to celebrate the end of term. I found myself not only incredibly happy to see so many friendly faces, but also truly thankful to be able to work in such an incredibly supportive and loving school. 

“What about our end of term prizes?” I hear you ask...

I’m well aware that we never got to award our final Moore’s Top Four, or give out prizes for outstanding success and effort. Fear not, I’ll be sure to make up for this when we’re back, so you best be on top form Year 9! 

Moore's Top Four


There are so many of you already impressing me with your resilience, independence and kindness over the last few weeks. I’ve heard so many positive things from your tutors, teachers and directly from your parents- so make sure you get a well-deserved rest this holiday so that you can come back rejuvenated and ready for next term- it promises to be the strangest Summer Term I think we will all ever experience. 


Time to reminisce...


It seems that at the moment, instead of looking to the future, a lot of my friends are posting old photos of themselves on social media, or remembering places they’ve visited around the world. I then thought of how many of our school trips and events had to be cancelled this term and again realised how lucky you all are to have so many opportunities available to you at school. Staff really do work tirelessly to provide you with as many opportunities as they can, to build relationships and ensure you all end up as well-rounded individuals.

Just in my time as your Head of Year, I’ve had the pleasure of taking some of you to amazing places like La Fosca (pictured below) and The Eden Project. After dipping in the school photo store, I was tempted to post some pictures on here of you all to reminisce over, but I then thought I’d save them for when I make your Year book in Year 11. There are some particularly embarrassing ones that I can’t wait for you to look back on when the time comes- Ryan Beavis getting his make up done by the girls is a particular favourite of mine, but I’ll spare him the embarrassment for now.

La Fosca 2018

Now, my next question goes to the boys: 

How is that hair looking? 

Sides looking messy? Skin-fade slowly disappearing? Top getting out of control? 

It's crazy to think that some of you won't have had a proper haircut for a few months by the time the barber shops open up again and I dread to think of what some of the home hacks might be. Here's a video below of what I imagine could happen if you assign the wrong person the razor in your house. 


Thankfully for my partner, his hair was spared as we managed to live stream an instagram chat with his barber and together we managed to achieve a pretty decent first attempt at a fade. Had to improvise on the water sprayer- an empty dettol bottle came in handy for that. 


Before 
After

It might have taken over an hour, but I was fairly impressed with the result. I've actually seriously contemplated giving up teaching to become a barber. So lads, if you're ever in need of a quick (or lengthy as the case may be) trim you can come to HOY Barbers and there might be a small discount.




A Tik Tok Generation

It seems that Tik Tok is one of the most popular ways to spend quarantine at the moment. Parents and Celebs are all getting involved, so it seemed rude not to give it a go. That's right, you heard it- I downloaded Tik Tok. However, I'm a bit lost of how to use it properly, so I've not actually posted anything on there. I'm spending a lot of time watching all the videos and wondering if I'll ever be able to nail one of the viral routines. Mr and Mrs Matthews certainly did though, so if you're interested check out the blog Mr Matthews is writing for his Year 12s and you'll find it on there... https://mrmatthewsworkingfromhome.blogspot.com/

Despite not knowing the renegade, I do happen to think that dancing is a great way to exercise and relieve stress. So when you're next in an open field- or just in your kitchen- whack some good music on and have a dance. Yes, even you boys! 

Here's some inspiration to get you started...although it's not quite as good as a Tik Tok!  


It was great to hear from your parents how you're all attempting to keep in shape. Some of you are being really inventive. For those of you with a trampoline, it seems there are a few things you can be doing to challenge yourself. Here's Carraghan's new work-out that she's been practising. 





Also, while we're on the topic of exercise, I know you've all been wondering how the slack-line skills have been progressing. Let's just say the picture below sums it up nicely. 

Still haven't mastered moving forward 


I'm confident that after all this is over I'll at least be able to put one foot in front of the other. 

So when will it all be over? 


Good question. One that I still don't have an answer for. What I do know is that I found a lot of promise in a message that Mr Kibble forwarded to all staff a couple of weeks ago from a friend of his who has experienced the same in China. Maybe some of you will take comfort from this too...


“We are just finishing our 7th week of E-Learning, seven weeks of being mainly housebound and seven weeks of uncertainty. We are healthy, we are happy, and we are humbled.

We are allowed to move around freely now with a green QR code that we show when we get our temperature taken. You get your temperature taken everywhere, and it's just become part of the routine. Most restaurants and shopping centres are now open, and life is coming back to our city.  

As we watch the rest of the world begin their time inside; here are some of my reflections on the last seven weeks:

1. Accept that you have no control over the situation. Let go of any thoughts of trying to plan too much for the next month or two. Things change so fast. Don't be angry and annoyed at the system. Anxiety goes down, and you make the best of the situation - whatever that might be for you. Accept that this is what it is and things will get easier.

2. Try not to listen to/read/watch too much media. It WILL drive you crazy. There is a thing as too much!

3. The sense of community I have felt during this time is incredible. I could choose who I wanted to spend my energy on - who I wanted to call, message and connect with and found the quality of my relationships has improved.

4. Appreciate this enforced downtime. When do you ever have time like this? I will miss it when we go back to the fast-paced speed of the 'real world'.

5. Time goes fast. I still haven't picked up the ukelele I planned to learn, and there are box set TV shows I haven't watched yet.

6. As a teacher, the relationships I have built with my students have only continued to grow. I have loved seeing how independent they are; filming themselves to respond to tasks while also learning essential life skills such as balance, risk-taking and problem-solving, that even we as adults are still learning.

7. You learn to appreciate the little things; sunshine through the window, flowers blossoming and being able to enjoy a coffee in a cafe.

To those just beginning this journey, You will get through it. Listen to what you are told, follow the rules and look out for each other. There is light at the end of the tunnel.”


So, Year 9, stay strong. Keep the faith and remember to keep looking to the future, because we have a lot of good things in store for us. 

I hope you all enjoy a appy and peaceful Easter weekend at home with your families. Just remember to stay safe!

Saint Don Bosco, pray for us. 

Miss M x

No comments:

Post a Comment

🎵 Try a little tenderness... 🎵

Or should I say Gentleness .  That's right, Gentleness is our theme this week and with only one more week to go, if you're anythi...