Thursday, June 11, 2020

Three is a magic number


Supposedly, Year 9, three is a 'magic number'. If you've heard the song on the most recent lottery advert, you'll know the lyrics from the song I'm referring too- or maybe I'm just a bit old and you have no idea what I'm talking about. 

Three:  It's the number of close friends I had in my main friendship group at school, the number of biscuits I usually have to eat to satisfy my sugar craving and the number of Microsoft Teams sessions I have today. 

Three, as you well know, is also a crowd. 

Despite all of this, Google will also confirm that three is meant to be a sacred number and that might have something to do with the Trinity (or, as we know it The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit). God gives Himself three times over out of love and reminds us of how to be selfless...something we have all had time to reflect upon during lockdown. With that in mind, going forward this week, I want us all to be thinking about how we can continue to carry out selfless acts to those around us, whether that is for friends, family, or our wider community. 

For more on Trinity, check out this week's assembly by Mrs Bolton on the school youtube channel:



Let's get down to Business...

Unfortunately, you may have heard that we are having a few problems with staffing Business Studies GCSE next year. As a result, I wanted to spend a bit of time addressing a few common questions that I have been receiving from you and your parents. 

Question 1: Why have I received an email from Mr Kibble, but my friend (who is also doing Business) hasn't?

If you selected Business Studies as your third choice of subject on your Options form, you will have received an email from Mr Kibble this week asking whether you wouldn't mind swapping to your reserve choice of subject. 

Question 2: What if you find a teacher to run the Business course by September? Will I still have to take my reserve if I agreed to it? 

At the moment, the leadership team are working tirelessly to try and solve the issue so as many of you can do Business as possible. However, in the event that we are unable to have as many Business classes as we would ideally like, some of you will be allocated your reserve choice. Therefore, Mr Hamshar and I are making calls to your parents this week to ask if this is something you wouldn't mind doing. By agreeing to go to your reserve subject, this does NOT mean that you will have to take it if we end up finding another teacher. 

Question 3: I have changed my mind about my reserve subject and am worried that I will be allocated it if Business doesn't have capacity for me. Can I still change my reserve? 

If you are someone who is worried about doing your reserve because you now don't particularly want to do the subject, please get in touch with me, or Mr Hamshar to let us know. We would rather we make the swap to a subject that you wouldn't mind doing now, rather than in September, because by that point it may be too late for us to make timetable changes (COVID-19 is likely to have an impact with this too, so we need to have a clear plan put in place for you all ahead of time). 

Question 4: Can I still do Business Studies A Level if I don't do GCSE?

Yes. If you don't do Business Studies GCSE, you will still be able to do it for A Level. 

Question 5: If I choose not to take my reserve, is there still the possibility that I will get given it? 

Yes. If we don't manage to recruit someone by September, the school will have to allocate student with their reserve choice, regardless of whether you have accepted it, or not. This is why it is imperative that you are happy with your reserve. 

If you have any other questions that I haven't covered, please do get in touch with me. Remember to have conversations with your parents about this too, as it would help knowing what your decision is before Mr Hamshar and I make calls to you over the next few days. 

Early Birds catch the worms 🐦


Metaphorical worms of course. 


Microsoft Teams sessions are now in full swing and it's been great to hear so many of you and actually get some class discussions going. I know that for some of you, it's also given you a little more structure to your day. However, just from my own knowledge, it's clear to see the difference between attendance at my 9am calls, as opposed to my 11am calls and I think that has a lot to do with some lengthy teenage lie-ins. 

Remember, your teachers will have put a lot of work into these sessions and they are a great opportunity to get involved with discussion and receive that much needed social interaction with your teachers again, so use them to your advantage because we are desperately trying to ensure that everyone gets a good deal whilst you have to remain at home. This is particularly important if you are someone who is struggling with work, or if you are unsure of how to structure your day- these sessions are there to help you get back into a routine if yours has 'gone out of the window' during lockdown. 

Positive Praise...👏 🍓 👑

Over the last week, there's been some name dropping of certain students by other members of staff (particularly within my English Department Meetings) for great efforts with home-learning, or contribution to Teams sessions. Whilst we're saving up for a big end of term 'Moore's Top Four' celebration, I wanted to do a few shout-outs this week for some individuals who have come to my attention. A HUGE well done to the names below...

Harry Priestley: For fantastic contributions on his English Teams lesson for An Inspector Calls. Could he be a long, lost relative of JB Priestley, our playwright?!

Ella Hough: For her insightful contributions on her English Teams lesson. 

Dhilan Joshi: For his excellent contribution to his recent English Teams lessons. 

Yasmin Davis: For great work in her English lessons on Teams. 

Chester Nucum: For working consistently hard on his English work. 

Tom Stokes: For being resilient in his learning and making valid contributions in his Teams lessons. 

Ana Altarac: For working really hard on her work for all subjects, particularly English!

Ella Brittan: For taking initiative by asking for extra pre-reading for her GCSE subjects. 

Laurence Wjingaarden: For upping his game on his work ethic and getting on top of all subjects that he is completing for GCSE

Owen Christmas: For reading Act 2 and beyond in 'An Inspector Calls'

Marco Underwood: For tremendous efforts creating a bar in the garden as a lockdown project...serving non-alcoholic beer to minors of course!



Marco putting in some hard graft on the circular saw!
The finished product that RMT teachers would be proud of


Now, before I sign off and go to my third Teams session of the day, I'll leave you with a quick 'pup-date' on Lola's last week...




Into the woods

Looking ratty after her first swim in Richmond Park
Looking cleaner after the first trip to the grooming salon




Take care, stay safe (especially those of you who I've seen wondering around Chertsey recently...remember to keep your distance!) 


Miss M x

No comments:

Post a Comment

🎵 Try a little tenderness... 🎵

Or should I say Gentleness .  That's right, Gentleness is our theme this week and with only one more week to go, if you're anythi...